Monday 14 October 2019 Day 8

Stayed up way too late (nearly 1am) podcasting, blogging and finally starting on The Brothers. It’s very thick and runs to 900 pages. Dostoyevsky himself said it would be a huge novel. He worked on it for years and died a few months after finishing it.

Feeling a bit low and crap. Woke up at 7:09 after not a very restful sleep. Not looking forward to the day. Got to take the ever demanding Marie Antoinette back to the station to sort out her ticket, and clear my emails. Send off the form for draining the lake, do something about the speeding ticket fiasco (I’m being fined €450 for not filling in the right form when paying the fine back in March. I appealed against it but that has been rejected. I think I’ll send the police’s latest and my original letter to Jean Claude and see if he has any suggestions. Don’t want to involve Marie Dominique.) Check out flights to Ibiza after London.

I didn’t meditate at all yesterday, more by accident than design. But I missed it I think.

Interesting the development on the theology front, the distinction in Kierkegaard and Rohr between Christianity’s focus on the incarnation, the unity of body and soul, the material and the transcendent, and the Eastern (Buddhist, Hindu) focus on pure soul consciousness. Less so in the Tao, Zen and Confucianism concern with the state, the balance between heaven and earth. But the Christian understanding (and existentialist) that suffering is not just a delusion, but part of the process, of the fact of being a body, limited in time and space. And that there is a real choice, between life fully in the world, and a ‘life’ outside of it, sitting on a cushion, being a monk, seeking ‘enlightenment’ and escape from the material. So active concern for our fellow man, and the planet, is not just an add-on, a spin off benefit of the search for the kingdom, but part and parcel of the process. It’s funny that it has taken me this long to start to see that. It’ll be interesting to see what effect The Brothers has. So many people I’ve been reading and listening to refer to Dostoyevsky.

Did my bit for suffering humanity and took Marie Antoinette into Poitiers Gare to get her ticket for tomorrow. She took advantage of the opportunity on the way to see if she could get me to build her a website for her crazy scheme for nothing. I declined.

S sent me readings from Krishnamurti about fear.

The 5 stages of grief and loss are: 1. Denial and isolation; 2. Anger; 3. Bargaining; 4. Depression; 5. Acceptance. Where is S, about Margrit? And me, about us?

Comments