Sunday 16 December 2018. Day 200. Day 4.

Woke up at 6am and turned the heating on, started making my tea and the gas ran out. Made a note that I have changed it today, not sure how long this bottle has actually lasted, keeping me warm all the time and making teas and coffees and porridge. Quite pleased with the efficient way I changed the bottle, in the dark and cold, and me still in my sarong.

Then in my selfless way I drove off at 7:20 to the boulanger to get some croissants for breakfast. Very foggy, could only see about 5 – 10 metres ahead of the car. Home to do Thomas’ washing up and meditate with AC and K.

I only have one thing to do today – make a Christmas card for Belle and post it. Everything else can wait. TL is preparing the agenda for the environment committee meeting on the 20th – I told him to send it to me, which he said he’d do. He’s definitely itching to grab all the reins asap. He’s much too young and doctrinaire and keen.

Running out is clearly a theme for the day. Went for a long walk after lunch (La b's prescription - I was very grumpy with everyone, but especially TL and KC, which is like 50% of the population roudn here), which was lovely, and then got back to the caravan to find the electricity was running out. Spent a fruitless hour checking and reconnecting the batteries and inverter, and then everything packed up – the gas heater stopped, it won’t work without electric, and now the meter is just showing a single red light. I may spend the night in the house. Better warn Kathleen.

(I did; got my bedding from the caravan and slept on the day bed in the salon – all very cosy and convenient, with everything plugged in and lights blazing and the kitchen right there for cups of whatever and snacks, and La B all too conveniently at hand thanks to the wonders of the interweb. I’m afraid my slightly surreal communications late at night may not have been fair, even on her exceptional English – I blame the speculative mushroom, which tasted delicious but has had no obvious other effects; maybe a sound night’s sleep).

I was thinking this morning, on the loo, how little adverse effect my not drinking and now not smoking seems to have had on my metabolism generally. If anything, it’s improved. Wish the fosse septique would improve – it seems to have a permanent and very smelly tummy upset. Maybe TL is right, we should give it yogurt. It may just have died.


another unmade bed, with Christmas tree

the badgers', foxes', hares' and looks like swallows' lair

who sleeps here?


Our Sequoia - sequoias 'r us have been to measure his girth,
it's very impressive

Deer don't like 'em. They love the cabbage - all gone TL says

These are delicious - pleurotte? J-CC says.

Cyclamens to come

just a little fairy garden

The Rhune was deeper than I thought.










Comments