Day 4 Wed 30.v.2018

Kathy Jarvis is coming back on June 1st, for a month's 'trial'. Andrew says she can be the admin person, which sort of lets me off the hook. Really pleased, for her. And Rebecca is going to come and stay for 5 days (Andrew had a long chat with her last night) to test the water, on her way to Greece for a month's yoga. She should talk to Magda - kindred spirits.

Timetable (at the moment)
5:30 tea, fag, blog, Rule
6:00 loo, wash
6:15 meditate
6:45 breakfast, to do lists
8:30 morning meeting
9:00 work
12:15 meditate
13:00 lunch
14:00 rest
15:00 work
17:30 The Rule
18:15 meditate
19:00 supper
21:00 bed

The Rule (Chapter 26 - 28) - talking about discipline and punishments. If all else fails, beat the bugger. But very good about the Abbot - he is to heal the sick, find and rescue the lost sheep, not simply exercise power over the healthy. And if someone is expelled (the ultimate sanction) or leaves, they have 3 chances to return and try again, but at the the bottom, for humility.

Another grey day. We'll have rain until the weekend apparently. I don't know whether its the magnesium or the week old water melon but very soft whatsits and urges to go again late at night. Susanna said it might. The pulsilla are a nightmare - fishing out 3 tiny pills without losing the rest, and then getting them under my tongue argggh

Perfection - a good book, shelter (not a home, but cosy, warm, secure, clean, tidy, comfortable), things to do, but not too much. All pills, medicines, cures taken. Teeth not yet brushed. Ahead; boredom, joy, accidie, irritation, good and less good company, dissolution and separation. Behind; a soft grey cloud, of nothing, all gone, forgotten, forgiven, accepted, tendrils of smoke drifting away on the air.

Prof Gormally has come to give us our French lecon. I sent him off to the garden, so he'll have to talk to the plants. He joined us for med and lunch, and is coming back tomorrow for Laurence's mass. V jolly. Rather slow on uptake re my joke about Proust and Madeleines. He said he ploughed through the lot at uni. And I suspect not since. Ditto Joyce.

I'm cooking pollo sarsa for supper tonight.

We missed out on the Liguge mass for the installation of Abbot Christoph. Full medieval rite, with 13 abbots in attendance to embrace him. The Prior was interrogated about the election (to make sure it was free and fair). There are 25 monks in toto at Liguge according to Patrick. Sorry I missed it.

Cathy Coyne has just arrived, from Canada, via the Camino, looking very fit. It's raining. I'm resting. I've cracked the glass problem (how to use the mastic verrier - cut into narrow short strips). Need some superglue to try and repair the pane I broke yesterday. I've also dismantled the door lock, to extract the jammed key - full of shite (mouse droppings! and some sort of fibrous material, which may have been holding the tumblers in place - project for this evening).

And I may have discovered why fridge isn't working with electricity - 12v needs much thicker cables - draws much more power through the cable because of the lower voltage, and it may not be properly ventilated. I'll have to extract it and check it out properly. Save me a bit as a new one could cost £500 (for a 3 way system). I wonder if my wires to the car battery in the caravan are a problem? They're very flimsy, possibly don't / can't charge it. The wires from the PV panel to the batteries are quite heavy. Do I need equally heavy ones to wire the batteries together?

Comments