Day 119 Friday 4.v.2018

Goodbye Daniel. (He rang Thomas this - Sat - vening - he'd left all his cash - a lot - in an envelope in his room. Jacques had found it and was going to give it to Andrew - who'd probably have sighed with relief and added it to the budget - no he wouldn't, that really is a terrible thing to say . . . but he might have done. Now we have to work out how to send it on to him ASAP). Coffee and Golden Virginia at the Tabac in Pont Neuf. A very nice Madame La Patronne, reminded me a bit of Harriet. Successful and super quick shopping at Super-U. Found everything apart from bulldog clips. Lots of useful electrical connectors. Moving the tiles and wood from the cave (the old monastery refectory and kitchen under the East Wing) with J-C, to avoid being jetteed. The water management issue (don't think anyone has even thought of it - check with Giovanni). Driving the tractor (not possible, says Jean C - it's on his own insurance. I wonder, bet there's a way). Laying the carpet in the bathroom, but not wanting to cut it up - we'll only be using it for 6 months at best. Fixing the light (glueing the broken glass shade from Ikea). Meeting Jacques Richard / comms with Andrew - my rage and frustration - why won't JR ring me and tell me where he is? No Bonnevaux sign in the car. Andrew panicking and deciding I was there an hour early (Delyth fortunately in the background telling him to stop being a tit and it was definitely 7.45 not 8.45). The urge to go off and have a fuck it drink, or just get blotto. JR's lovely bread and his daughter's apple and butternut jam. Meditation with my gong and Thos and Susanne. No reading from Kahlil Gibran (too many words). Quinoa and French. Talking to Suzanne in the dark, not finding Cassiopeia, the stars look different tonight, Rebecca as a small child, everyone fatherless (as yours truly put his foot in the usual place, saying RB is like a fatherless child but she has a father, yet Susanne's not seen her father for 20 years, and he wasn't really there before, she says, Thomas' dad died when he was 12, Daniel's when he was also very young. Good grief. How thorough / or OTT RB was in selecting the volunteers. The work she did on the Farm in Feb - maybe she did more than I give her credit for, or got other people to do it (Suzanne says she's good on her own). She didn't appear to do anything while she was here this time, apart from her dramas.

No word from Pol. Nice chat with Flost this am. They might come and stay at Bonnevaux - camping.

More mortar bees moving in. SA beers in the fridge. Fridge on gas again - battery symbol seems to be empty. wind blew over my SP and towel on the clothes rack while I was out shopping. I harvest sunshine, grow electricity, charge my phone. RTFM and find out what the monitor is telling me - why has the SP voltage dropped to 26, in bright sunshine and cloudless sky, why is the battery empty, why does the fridge use so much leccy?

The timeline May 2013 to now - I've completed it - one or two lacunae - where was our virtual Christmas the year before Felicity did it for thanksgiving? Interesting exercise a) that I can remember it, which is a bit of a relief - the last drink sodden 5 years, that is b) what did and didn't happen, quite a lot in some ways and at some times, separated by long periods of nothing, mainly working in the CoOp and coming home every night and getting drunk and stoned - and of course I don't know what I've left out / forgotten - it seems complete enough, but how would I know? Like someone who's been brain damaged and keeps coming up with perfectly plausible (to him) explanations of why he can't see anything in his left visual field.

I didn't mention my haircut at the Super-U in Poitiers Sud. Very officious instructions first - handed a placard first, this is how we do you, hang jacket and bag here, put on waterproof giant bib here, go there and have hair washed, now come here, for a French number 4 and sourcilles (I think - eyebrows anyway). She had tatts and metal work, quite pretty, but very brutal, at first I thought she was a dyke or a man hater, but she softened after a bit, and I ended up quite enjoying having my head virtually shaved - a French #4 is a lot shorter than the English version and feeling much neater and cleaner at the end. I gave her tip and she told me I was tres gentil (which I was really, considering that was €19 for 10 minutes work - I should have asked her to style it after she had cut it all off). Anyway it was a treat and I've joined their loyalty club and after 3 cuts I get €3 off.

I do love the French. They are delightfully logical and efficient in some ways, and utterly insane in others. And mostly, friendly and kind. Not on the whole terribly attractive. No doubt I'll get my eye in. They do all look definitely French (and Fram folk were not generally very attractive either, you just got used to them. Anyway look at me.)

Comments