Day 1 Sun 27.v.2018

Andrew has declared a proper day off. I'm going to do Stuart's book. I have a hangover. Slight, but unpleasant. It's 7.30. A cup of tea, birdsong.

email to Belle:
"Dear Belle

My favourite sober treat. At the moment, a watermelon, sliced and diced in a bowl, that I can pick bits up from with a fork whenever I fancy. I love watermelon and I often bought one and then just let it go rotten because I never got round to opening it up and having a slice. This way I get the boring bit out of the way, and then just enjoy it whenever I like.

I'm declaring a new Day 1, please note. The Fete des Voisins was a great success and of course a sea of alcohol of one sort or another. Our neighbour Brigitte, whose husband is killing himself with alcohol, was offering some concoction of Gerard's - made from coings - quince I think. I had a glass, it tasted very nice, and very strong. I had another sip, and then retired to my caravan. Later, after the storm, and all the guests had left, the bottle, which Brigitte had left behind, to join the forest of various unlabelled spirits in the kitchen cupboard that normally none of us drinks, came out again, and I had another glass. And then later, after everyone had gone to bed I drank a tumbler full of some white spirit. I wasn't really drunk, although I definitely have a slight head this morning, and the usual bitter why did I go and spoil it feeling, especially after my successful week on Naxos. I worry and wonder a bit, that it comes so soon after my last slip, and in the same place, which is normally virtually alcohol free. I did however stop (the thought was there, what the hell, let's get hammered, which I'm very glad I didn't do).

Ironic too, as I'd just listened to a rather good podcast by Jeff Salzmann about the effects he noticed giving up food for 5 days (he's already given up booze) - his experience and feelings exactly echoed my own about not drinking - feeling good about myself, feeling stronger, more energetic, and much more glad to be alive, 'and then I go and spoil it all by doing something stupid like . . . ' to paraphrase the song"

Comments

  1. Commiserations but the Fete sounded - and looked - fun. I’ve ordered JS’s fasting book! For my next Trick.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Say anything you like. I do.