Day 47 Wednesday 21.ii.2018

David has cancelled our Go game, and Ingrid wants the car back. So I took the bottles to the bottle bank and the car back to Ingrid and did a bit of shopping. Bought more cod liver oil - it says don't exceed the stated dose (2 x 5ml a day) but fails to explain what the terrible consequences of so doing might be. I just have a swig every morning (I'm sure not having it in France with me was why everything started to hurt so much, especially fingers and wrists).

I met Jo in the CoOp and told her she was having a boy (on May 1st). She looked surprised and asked how I knew, but it was obvious from the way she is carrying. And she is, she says (having a baby boy). Funny, I always thought she was a sad young spinster.

Listened to Jeff Salzman talking about Jordan Peterson. He thinks JP is a traditionalist, I don't think Jeff is nearly as integral as he thinks he is. JP is way out in front (as anti-postmodernism as Ken Wilber and for much the same reason).

Did more Babbel when I got home, and had a long chat with Joe who seems to be very happy and busy and not completely broke, and still with Sarah although they are not living together yet. He is starting work on his new venture - the Sailing Club at Salinas which he / his mother seems to be the main investor in.

Time for midday meditation. Then a snack and a snooze.

Thinking about smiling at people (or appearing to) and not smiling at people (or just appearing to look rather grim, when in repose). Or being beautiful. How a vicious / virtuous cycle starts. The effect on us and others of one or the other. I just got a lovely random smile from a girl in The Lemon Tree when cycling home this morning, and I smiled back, but I think she smiled at me (and quite a few people do) because my normal expression, especially on the bike, is a sort of manic grimace as I pant for breath, so even when I'm not, people think I'm smiling at them. And smile back. Which is nice.

And Jordan Peterson's point about how networked we are, and how disruptive / effective / quickly spread even small positive things we do can be, like tidying our room, or smiling at someone. Also, of course, negative things, but maybe they don't spread quite as well / quickly through our networks. And his answer to someone's question ('What do I do about people who don't get what I'm saying and just criticise me all the time?') about pearls before swine. Although he did say you could listen to them - you might learn something and it might help them, to be listened to that is. But, on the whole, don't bang your head against walls, try to hang out with people who get you, and / or you get.

felt progressively iller all day and ended up binge watching McMafia, which was grim but rather good. Then Pol rang and really spoilt my day - she'd asked Karen, her gardener, to break up the bench / bed I'd made for her summer house and which I'd asked her if I could have for the Alms House. I don't know why it upset me so much. So I watched more McMafia until 2 in the morning in a rather fuck you kind of way. It somehow spoilt everything, I don't know why, the Alms House and going to France and my silly fragile pink haze about life, the universe and everything. Which was probably just as well - a sort of being brought down to earth, with rather a bump. I'd rung Pol to tell her about Laura being very impressive on New Zealand telly, but of course she'd seen it. 

Comments