Day 38 Monday 12.ii.2018 (and Sunday Day 37)

Big day today - doing the water pressure test and checking out all my plumbing and drainage systems and the water heater. Ooooo err.

No caffeine last night (decaf Yorkshire tea). Went to sleep before 11pm and didn't wake up until 7am, and no pee breaks in the night. May be a lesson here. O dear.





More things I've done without:
  • Metanoia
  • Proofreading Stuart's book
  • Reading much of any kind (a bit of internet, a bit of Arendt, a bit of Tolstoy, a bit of Eckhart - maybe a couple of pages a day, instead of my normal 2 or 3 hours minimum).
and meditation 3 times a day, apart from the last couple of days when things have been a bit hectic on the Edspace front.

Very tired on Saturday night, but woke and started worrying and sort of panicking that there was no way I was going to finish any of the work and I would just leave on Tuesday with a bunch of disconnected pipes and wires and a pile of sawn off bits of wood. So no sleep for a couple of hours, went back to reading Arendt on the Eichmann trial, then went to sleep and didn't wake up until 9am on Sunday morning. When I had a brilliant day. Undercut the shower tray to hide away the shower and kitchen waste pipe, connected all the big drains outside, sealed and connected all the water fittings inside, wired up the water heater, wired up a test neon tube light.

Need to do a bit more shopping in Vivonne at the Brico - a last connector for the water softener, some wood for skirting boards and hinges for the bathroom door. Maybe some sort of light shade for the neon lights (a solid board cuts off too much light, and the ceiling isn't white as I thought but plain wood, so no down reflection from my uplighter idea). Could try tinfoil and / or greaseproof paper.

I suppose porridge is the closest thing to eating snot one's likely to get to (congee is worse, I think). But a huge bowl every morning has kept me more or less fit and healthy on this job for the last month. I've worked out the perfect mixture - the right mug, the right pan, the right amount of salt, oats (really excellent Super-U bio flocons d'avoine), water, and just leaving it to simmer on the cuisiniere while I meditate.

Andrew has printed out my Easyjet boarding pass. I might actually be going home, happy and satisfied with my work, on Tuesday. I wonder if I can get a hot shower at Charles de Gaulle?

The water works (mostly) - water heater is leaking, and I had to pull out the shower and redo the joints and fiddle with the waste pipe, but that was OK. I was very excited / elated - Andrew seemed curiously unimpressed. I suppose he just assumed it would work. Worked on everything all day, but didn't seem to get a lot done - walled the bathroom and hung the door. I was hoping to have the first hot shower and sleep in it, but that didn't happen.

Rebecca Brewin arrived, in good form until the heart to heart over supper. I was a bit brutal (shame Andrew hadn't been before) and Rebecca was clearly thinking of going back to England pronto, when she realised the situation i.e. here, more or less alone for 4 weeks, apart from Henriette whom she doesn't apparently like (or the other way round) and no volunteers to keep her company because there's nowhere for them to stay. She (and her faint heart volunteers) seem to think the place is here for them to have a spiritual jolly and plant some vegetables. I suspect Andrew was holding back telling Rebecca straight because he sort of knew she might change her mind, which would leave him a bit buggered, and I think pressure is building on the Delith front - some lines being drawn, about the state of the Edspace amongst other things. And the poor things have rather burnt their boats having sold their house and moved their stuff over here.

All getting a bit tense . . . still I did meditate 3 times today. So that's all right then!

Comments