Day +3 / +94 / -97 Monday 8.i.2018

Can't figure out how to count my days after my "fall". Am I trying to get back to where I was (i.e. day 90) or move on, a slip up, but lesson learned, and don't look back (day 94) or looking forward to day 100 - only another 97 to go. Or just worrying about the numbers as if they're some sort of score. Stuart said some wise things about not coming to Naxos in March (how do I survive in such an alcohol based society? and it is, despite all the coffee and nero - no one gets drunk, but drink is always there (and not just for the tourists) - and the ancient myths / worship of Dionysus and Bacchus, booze as a way to leave the planet, or ordinary reality anyway.

Bad sleep (radio on all night, my hand on the rmeote, why can't I just turn it off?) Unsatisfactory chat with Aden on Google hangouts - delays, echoes, lost signal - very frustrating. Discussed Joe's woes and bitcoin, which I have now sold, having gone in, out (for a profit), in, out, in again and now out for the same net profit I'd made a month ago. Very silly and distracting. Just ended up giving coinbase quite a bit of my profits in fees, which is probably their business model. How do you make a small fortune in the City? Give them a large one.

Off to Fram to try and get the bike fixed and prepare for work, which I am not looking forward to.

Facebook's fond memory for today - my launch of Metanoia in February 2014.

The bike man said he can fix it before I go to work. He's very busy and in to hospital this week for another operation, leaving two very frail old relics in charge. If all else fails I'll borrow Fred's bike.

Eckhart Tolle, Richard Rohr, Thic nhat Hanh - all saying come on in the water's lovely. Has this ever happened before? Lots of others saying it, but I am reasonably confident these three know of what they speak, and live / experience it for themselves. Other are less clear. Nevertheless for three enlightened ones to be walking around talking and being known, world wide, at the same time, seems pretty significant.

Posted this to Belle's blog today:
Your comment is awaiting moderation. (Should Belle be allowed to moderate this?)

This isn’t possibly the best place for this but here goes nothing.

I saw this award (BBC Radio 4 All In The Mind Awards) and I thought Belle should get it so I have nominated her, but I bet there are others out there who have better stories than mine to tell about Belle, and the more nominations she gets the better I say. You don’t have to be in the UK to nominate her (and obviously Belle isn’t and doesn’t have to be ‘cos she’s virtual and therefore a citizen of the world). I think the closing date for nominations is 31st January.

Now on Chapter 3 of Stuart's book. The naughty bit which is quite fun to edit. And I think I have figured out how to finish Metanoia (it was beginning to feel like Zeno's Paradox - always getting closer, but never actually getting there).

Having ingested a steak slice and a sausage roll, and bought a CoOp meal deal for later, I am now ready for work.

The bike is fixed and Mr Bike was very complimentary about its obvious antiquity and 'usedness' - it has done at least 30,000 miles. The back sprockets (bottom 3 cogs) are very worn and now completely out of sync with the new chain but at least I was able to get to work and then home OK (got slightly lost both times). Work was fine, enjoyable in fact - I think I prefer 2pm to 9pm - I'm not missing any drinking and 2pm gives me time to do all my chores before I leave. Unfortunately the LP cover machine which I was supposed to be working on from 4pm broke down (magnetic drag brake that tensions the roller with the polythene tube on keeps seizing up and no-one can fix it until tomorrow). This is a mind numbingly boring but physically undemanding job - stick packs of 100 LP bags in another bag, stick bag in box, stick another 100 LP bags in a bag . . . but I ended up doing mostly wrapping and palletising, which is hard work but more fun (not driven by the relentless rhythm of the machine). Funny how the machine noise and the very loud music (loud to overcome the machines - total decibel level way off the scale) sound the same. Are modern beats and rhythms consciously or unconsciously echoing the sound of continuous process machinery, or do we impose rhythms of our own on the noise?

Home by 9:30, very tired. Finished pheasant pie and fell asleep watching the telly. Woke up at 1am and turned everything off and lay down. Should have done this in the first place - Have I got Old News for You? is not worth a decent night's sleep. It's not worth much at all.

=============

H has got to Day 50, which seems extraordinary - it only seems like yesterday that she said she was going to try the 100-day challenge. And she didn't seem to know (or rather, hadn't seen Belle's congratulatory message)

Belle has asked me to think about why I 'succumbed' (funny the number of words I came up with and rejected for all their connotations) which I really don't know how to answer. Homework. Ho hum. Bolshiness is certainly a factor, though that begs a question in itself.

Comments