Day 25 Tuesday 30.i.2018

This is a new situation, not just a holiday. Bound to be fluctuating ups/downs like a stock market crash, quicker and more extreme at start. Thought last night / this morning it's doomed and I'm investing in another disaster. But so what? As safe here, safer even, as anywhere. Spend all my money on useful things - wood burner, solar panels, rebuild caravan, car / van maybe. Convert cash into things of value (not bitcoin). Be off-the-griddable. Could survive here after Armageddon (without pension?)

Didn't wake up until 7:11. Had tea and OJ and meditated in my room. Laid the last of the gravel with Jean Christophe, tidied up  the Edspace ready to start fitting out. Delyth and Andrew went off to sort out car. Soren has connected us to water. J-C says big trees can be chopped up and planked beginning of March. The motoculture will charge us 430 euros for la pelle (money well spent, had J-C and I done it by hand, I'd be back in England and he'd be dead, or very pissed off). New car is a Citroen Picasso and very nice. I think Andrew has agreed not to drive it except in exceptional circumstances. None of his expeditions seem to take less than 3 hours, which would leave me stranded if he doesn't use his own car. Nice med with Soren at 1.30 and delicious Delyth celery soup for lunch. I had a kip after lunch (1 hour). Andrew and I went to fetch the car and buy some rope to rig up the water pipe across the stable arch. Soren has a cunning plan.

Andrew has spoken to Laurence and I can stay, and he'd like to talk to me, which would be nice. All just as well as Laura has let my room already and wants to know when I'll be leaving, and can I bring some of her father in law's stuff with me in the caravan as he's moved to Poitiers.

Nice pizza from the bread oven for supper. Andrew and Soren have been playing with the old ringer board in the kitchen (Mme la Comtesse, le Chambre Vert, M Edgard, Mme Edgard etc) We thought we'd put up name stickers for Fr Laurence and M. Ruel. Laurence is very pleased we've lit the bread oven. Jean Christophe says it hasn't been lit in the 30 years he's been here. "Niquel" which is Jean Christophe's favourite word - he never says "truc" - means perfect, AOK, spot on, according to Brigitte, who joined us for meditation. And J-C says it a lot to me except when I dig the digger in too deep and start digging up earth as well as gravel.

I realised today that I am not in charge. I am driving the digger and feeling very important, but J-C is telling me exactly what to do and how to do it. Just as well. Niquel.

A much nicer day. A kip after lunch made all the difference.

Comments